Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Reusable Swiffer Pad Tutorial


As I had mentioned before, I love my Swiffer Wet Jet, but really suck 
at keeping the soap and pad refills on hand.


So, after my success refilling my Lysol Soap Dispenser and Swiffer Bottle
from THIS post, I knew I needed Swiffer Pads.

After looking around online for a bit, I came up with the style above.
It is super simple, 4 pieces, and cost $1 for 2 pads.

Yeah, I did use the sewing machine, but it doesn't have to be perfect.
AND
If you can sew a basic line, believe me, you can do it too!

The Details
First, I picked up an auto Shammy (or Chamois) cloth from the dollar store.
Cut the cloth base to the same size as your Swiffer Wet Jet.
Next, cut 3 strips, 2 inches wide and the length of the base pad.

Take the 3 strips and position them on the base.
One in the middle and one on either side.
Then sew them to the base by sewing right down the middle of each strip.


Now take your scissors and make a snip every inch down both sides of each strip.
Feel free to fluff them up.  :)


The shammy material adheres to the velcro on the bottom of the Swiffer Wet Jet.
You don't need to sew pocket or anything!
Isn't that great!



I told you it was simple!
You can now Swiffer and then toss these guys right into the washing machine.
Make a bunch and you will always have a fresh pad ready.

I was again inspired to mop every hard surface in the house tonight.
I must really like this project. 
I had no issues with the cloth moving or slipping.

Hope you like it too!

XOXO,

13 comments:

  1. Great idea! I'm not very good at keeping the refills on hand either...plus they get kind of costly. Your idea will save a lot of money! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melysa,

    You have been tagged a Wonderful Blogger! Come see what to do next ...

    http://joy2journey.blogspot.com/2012/03/wonderful-blogger-tag.html
    Hugs,
    Bj

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the sake of your child and dog,please look into why using the "Swiffer" chemicals to wash your floors,is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS to their health/lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great point! I am actually not using the Swiffer chemicals since I found a way to refill the solution container. You can fill it with "green" solutions and still have the convenience and no danger. :)

      Delete
  4. This is great! I featured you on our Facebook Page! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that settles it, you are pure brilliant! What a great idea!! Believe me, I'll be doing this soon. I love my Swiffer! Thank you so much for linking up to It's a Pary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, probably more cheap than brilliant. :) Thanks for hosting a great party, Terri.

      Delete
  6. LOVE this idea! Thanks for linking up at DIY Thrifty Thursday....you've been featured! Drop by and grab an "I was featured" button and hope to see you again this week!
    Michelle @ www.thrifty101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a note, we love hearing from you!